Natural Disasters


If you have been affected by a natural disaster (e.g. bushfire, flood, cyclones), contact your creditors and explain your situation. Most financial institutions will set up a natural disaster team. Details are usually available on their website or you will be given an option when you phone the creditor. If you cannot get the help you need to contact:



Personal credit legislation allows you to approach your credit provider and request hardship assistance if you have been impacted by special circumstances, such as a natural disaster.

Should your credit provider refuse to acknowledge the issue or if you feel that your situation has been inadequately dealt with, contact the appropriate ombudsman, either the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) or the Credit Ombudsman Service (COS).

The Commonwealth government and state governments often set up natural disaster relief programs. Contact your local Member of Parliament (MP) for information and advice.

If you are a farmer who has experienced a natural disaster, contact the Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS).

Here are a number of useful links:

Australian Government Disaster Assist

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment

Red Cross - emergency resources

NSW Rural Fire Service



What can I do if my home and/or contents insurance claim is refused?

What can I do if my car insurance claim is refused?

Bushfire Insurance Guide

Flood Insurance